Travel Tips: Carbon Monoxide Safety on Holiday

Travel Tips: Carbon Monoxide Safety on Holiday

Have you considered packing a CO monitor to ensure carbon monoxide safety on holiday?

It’s safe to say that as a family we tend to opt for self catering properties over hotels or BnBs when we’re staying anywhere for more than a night or two. There are many reasons for this, mainly the increased space which is essential for us as a family of five.

On our recent trip to Andalucia in Spain we stayed in four different self catering properties, mainly booked via Air BnB. We tend to do a lot of research on things like location, facilities,  and this trip it paid off massively as we ended up staying in some truly memorable apartments and villas. 

Carbon Monoxide Safety on Holiday
Carbon Monoxide Safety on Holiday

Carbon Monoxide Safety on Holiday

But I have to admit that when researching potential accommodation online, one thing that I am very guilty of, is not always considering simple but important safety features. For example I am quick to rule a property out if I can see that there is a steep staircase or a staircase with no bannister, but do I check in advance that the property has a Carbon Monoxide monitor? No. Looking back, that is just crazy of me! 

I think I just naively associated carbon monoxide poisoning with camping when a BBQ or fire were nearby. And unfortunately I am not the only one, apparently nine in ten adults in the UK admit they have never checked for a carbon monoxide alarm in their hotel room, and I am sure this is the same for other holiday accommodation too; be it a self catering apartment or villa, a mobile home or a bed and breakfast.

So when I was contacted by Project Shout regarding their Go With CO campaign, it was just the kick up the bum that I needed to start taking this seriously.

Looking at research, I can see that carbon monoxide poisoning is a huge danger. In the UK alone there are 50 deaths per year and over 2,000 people are hospitalised. The reason it is so dangerous, is because it is considered ‘the silent killer’ as it is impossible to smell, see or hear it. It also only takes a small amount of CO to cause illness. 

What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? 

  • Dizzyness
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Feeling tired and/or confused
  • Stomach pain
  • Breathing difficulty or shortness of breath

What are the possible sources of Carbon Monoxide?

  • Fireplaces
  • Boilers
  • Cookers
  • BBQs
  • Oil burners
  • Gas fires
  • Cigarette smoke 

How can you stay safe?

Check ahead: In hindsight, I should have asked in advance at each property we stayed at if they had a carbon monoxide monitor fitted. In many countries it is not mandatory for them to be installed, even in accommodation with a higher risk; such as mobile homes; rental homes with fireplaces, or even hotels (which although tend not to have high risk appliances, some rooms could be located above or near to the boiler rooms). 

Lisa from Travel Loving Family was surprised to find that a monitor wasn’t fitted at their mobile home when staying at a Siblu park in France. She later discovered that it is not mandatory in France, and had to try to find one at the supermarket. 

Pack a monitor to take with you: The beauty of carbon monoxide monitors (apart from its ability to save your life of course!) is that they really aren’t that big and are battery operated meaning can easily be taken on holiday with you. That tiny bit of space in your suitcase is totally worth it for that added peace of mind. 

Do you pack a monitor to take with you or have you been surprised by not finding a monitor in a place that you expected there should be one? I’d love to hear from you and I can add your experience to this post to let others know. 

DaisLikeThese

 

 

15 Comments

  1. September 25, 2018 / 11:31 am

    I agree – it’s not something that many people automatically think of but it should be!

  2. October 1, 2018 / 10:42 am

    Oh gosh, this is so important! You hear so many horror stories but I’d never actually thought of taking a monitor with me! Thank you so much for the tip! #MondayEscapes

  3. October 1, 2018 / 11:17 am

    I have honestly never thought about this on holiday. But I will certainly think twice now! Thank you for bringing this to my attention 🙂 #MondayEscapes

  4. October 1, 2018 / 12:44 pm

    This is such a good idea, I’d never considered taking one but as you say they are very portable.Thanks for the suggestion. #mondayescapes

  5. October 1, 2018 / 2:40 pm

    Never thought to check either but like you I’m a stickler for a banister on a staircase! Interesting post. #MondayEscapes

  6. October 1, 2018 / 5:40 pm

    A really useful post and something I’ve not really considered before. Jemma x #MondayEscapes

  7. Mama Travels Earth
    October 1, 2018 / 7:55 pm

    You’re not alone, I’ve definitely never considered taking one away with us – although we have one in our lounge that easily could be. Certainly something to think about for future. #MondayEscapes

  8. October 2, 2018 / 1:37 pm

    It’s such a good idea to tale a monitor with you. It’s so inexpensive compared to the real life costs if something goes wrong! #MondayEscapes

  9. October 2, 2018 / 6:30 pm

    Never thought of some of those ideas. Better safe than sorry! #mondayesapes

  10. October 2, 2018 / 8:25 pm

    Really useful. I’ll be packing s monitor for our next camping trip even if just for piece of mind! #MondayEscapes

  11. October 2, 2018 / 9:09 pm

    It’s not something that I have ever considered. Scary really that we just assume everything is safe x

  12. October 3, 2018 / 8:47 pm

    A useful post about the dangers of carbon monoxide. I was knocked out by carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas fire while at university. Luckily I was OK #MondayEscapes

  13. October 3, 2018 / 9:08 pm

    Truthfully, I’ve never ever considered it, not even here in the UK. Silly really and you’re right – the monitors are easy enough to take with you so for peace of mind it would definitely be a good idea to pop one in the suitcase.

  14. October 6, 2018 / 11:32 pm

    Must admit I have never considered this… When I think about it there must have been one in an airbnb in New York a long time ago. When it went off, I had no idea what to do. In the end I got it to stop, somehow… #mondayescapes

  15. October 8, 2018 / 9:26 pm

    This is such an important subject but something I have never thought of taking, its quite scary that a boiler could be dangerous x

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.